Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Waiting



Twiddling your thumbs, tapping your foot, and counting random objects are all time killers, but they are also fun-factor killers.
 
Life tends to leave me waiting a lot. I really do mean a lot. Whether I’m waiting in line at the college print shop, waiting for the holidays to come, waiting for the Jets to take the ice, or waiting for that special someone to walk into my life... it always seems that I’m waiting for something.

Throughout my 20 years on planet earth (nearly 21) I’ve learned that patience is a virtue (well duh). Knowing this little fact of life hasn’t helped to bottle my feelings of rage while watching time pass by. But it's fun to say to people who are waiting, because you know it makes the wait ten times worse.

Waiting can be awkward, painful, and even deadly. But sometimes the wait pays off. Sometimes there is a shiny golden reward that sits awaiting then end of...waiting. For me, that reward doesn’t always seem to be there, besides the occasional  Big Mac from McDonald’s or a shiny full-color plansbook from the print shop.

That being said, that doesn’t mean that I don’t have an arsenal of waiting techniques at my disposal. So, with no further adieu, here are my top 5 tips for staying sane while waiting.

Pull out the phone: These days almost everyone has a smart phone. Apps, music, games - these days there is no shortage of phone fun.

Strike up a conversation: If talking is your forte, than strike up a conversation with a fellow “waiter.” Usually people who are in the same position as you can relate to your agony. Also, if the wait is painful they will be more inclined to join in on a conversation.

Talk to yourself (in your head): If you’re someone who gets lost in their own thoughts, waiting is often a perfect time to have a conversation with your good ol’ pal, your brain. Think about finances, love life, or whatever it is that excites or concerns you. Just make sure your solo conversation stays solo, or else everyone will think you’re nuts!

Whistle: Oh yes, you’ll be that guy whistling in line, but at least you’ll be the one picking the tune. This technique is best suited for small lines, or waiting in solitude, but you never know, one day you might whistle next to a pro-whistler.

Observe: Take a peek at your surroundings, maybe there is something interesting around.

So, this week, I’m stuck in The Outhouse... whistling, talking to myself, and waiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment