Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, September 19, 2011

Quitting...Again?

Ditching the darts.

When it comes to something people struggle with, everyone has their vice. For some it's coffee, for others it's biting their nails, heck, sometimes it's even candy, but sadly for me, it's smoking.

I've tried quitting a million times, and I'm sure people have heard that excuse a million times, but if it was really that easy I would've quit already.

I've tried replacing the habit with Blow-Pops (suckers), chewing gum, Nicorette, and good old fashioned cold turkey. To be honest, Nicorette worked to a certain extent. The only problem is that Nicorette Gum nearly costs as much as the cigarettes.

I hate to play the blame game, especially when it comes to smoking, but I'm pretty sure that working in the construction field didn't help the matter. Having jobs in renovations, landscaping, and flooring exposed me to bosses that lit up a dart, smoke, cancer stick, cig, or cigarette, every 20 minutes.

Still, that's no excuse, I'm the one who caved in and kept smoking. But now, for the millionth time, I'm quitting again. Maybe I'll be a jackass for a few days. Maybe I'll be highly aggravated. Or maybe I'll be stressed to the max, but if quitting is the end result then it was worth it.

So tonight, right after this is posted, I'm going to smoke my last Number Seven Red Regular. I guess you could call it my last smoke ever too.

How am I so sure that I'll quit?

Here are a few reasons:
1: Confidence - I'm feeling good about it. I've slowly been trying to cut down and it feels like the right time to quit.
2: Winnipeg has shitty weather - It doesn't hurt one bit that Old Man Winter is sneaking up on Winnipeg. Hopefully the cold will encourage me to grab a coffee instead of a cig.
3: A new vice - My new vice will be gum. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not the best to replace one vice for another, but at least my new vice won't contain arsenic and tar.
4: Hitting the gym -Now that I'm back in college and my gym membership is back, I'll be working out way more. Coughing up tar while running on the treadmill isn't in my itinerary.
5: Great support - I've got tons of friends and family that have been encouraging me to quit and hopefully they'll be supportive throughout my battle.

Tomorrow will be interesting, Day One... Really, it's nothing compared to days 2 through 29,876. I'm sure I'll be fine and won't tear any heads off. So I guess, I'm the one entering The Outhouse. Only time will tell if I can butt out the habit and make it through The Outhouse.

Butting it out.

2 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

Good luck!

Evan Paterson said...

Thanks, so far so good! Almost at two weeks I believe...

Post a Comment