Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Voting? Or lack of it?


Voting has always been a big issue here in Canada. We can’t seem to muster up the same numbers that the States do during elections.

One factor I attribute to that; is that very few Canadian youth vote. This is a topic that has been dragged on more than a shitty comic on stage. It seems like there is no shortage of “talk” about why youth aren’t voting, but I do see a shortage on action.

Last year, during the federal election, approximately 300 University of Guelph students formed a “Vote Mob” to greet Prime Minister Steven Harper.


Acts like this show some hope for student/youth voting, but still 300 youth won’t make the difference.

Growing up in Lorette, Manitoba – a rural Manitoba town. I was exposed to countless displays of reluctancy to vote. It seemed that there was never a shortage of campaign signs during election season, but there was always a shortage of voters. The first and only year I voted in Lorette I was doing a little cover story on the results of the polls. I waited around the polls, looking for younger voters to interview, but to my dismay there were barely any.

I think there is a huge un-tapped source of voters in rural Manitoba, and they are the youth. Reeves and Councilors should hold events targeted towards rural youth - Events that would engage them, and get them thinking about the election. Yes… I know… easier said than done.

It seems that the election culture in the country doesn’t go too much farther than setting up signs, shaking hands, and crossing our fingers. I decided for myself that rural elections were hokey at best, at least in Lorette. I base this statement off the fact that I had to track down Lorette’s new councilor at the infamous Lorette Bar, or should I say, The Inn Seine Nightclub. I mean, I love Lorette bar, I really do. But, to me, it’s not where I would go after winning the polls.

To get youth to vote, you need to appeal to them, and practically slap them in the face with the STRONGEST facts. Times are changing, and getting the message out isn’t a one-way street. It’s actually a street with several roundabouts, intersections, and bicyclists that get in the way.

Platforms should be pitched through social media, face-to-face, television, radio, online, and overall everything. Getting the message out seems to be trickier than ever. Either that, or people are hearing but not listening.

Youth voting could be low because most candidates have gray or no hair, and the youth find it hard to relate to them…But to me, it’s lack of action on the political parties’ parts. That is what is responsible for the low youth turnouts.
Do I have a solution? Maybe, maybe not. However, if I were in charge of funneling youth into polling stations I would take different routes.

Here are a few things I would try:

Throw events that youth can relate to: Even if the cost is high, the benefit of associating voting to a known concert or party could be great.

Use risky or bold copy in ads: Youth have heard it all, or at least that’s what they think. Using risky or bold copy in ads could spark interest, gain publicity, and create buzz about the campaign.

Liven it up: Some campaigns stress how they’ll crack down on crime, or boost the economy. Instead of just making those statements, politicians should use anecdotes to illustrate how those factors can directly relate to the voter. In the future or present.

Be personable: Politicians often come across as stone-faced and emotionless - Others perceive them as puppets or robots, being told what to do. Jack Layton was an extremely personable politician who had great success with youth voters. He is a great example of how a face, personality, and a good mustache can be related to the success of a campaign.


To me, the youth voter turnout is absolutely pathetic. I’m not placing the blame solely on the political parties and politicians; youth voters have a big part of the blame to take on too. 

However, there could still be more done to encourage the youth to vote and get engaged. Because of this, “the lack of youth voters” got tipped over in The Outhouse. 
Does it work?
I think this one works...





0 comments:

Post a Comment